Trying Korean Food Pt. 1 - 1st Time Cooking Korean Food

🍴🍴🍴
    This has been in the works for awhile, especially because I don't consider myself a great cook but I absolutely love food and Asian food has always been my favourite, but recently, I was noticing just how little Korean food I've had. There's not really Korean restaurants where I am so the best thing I could think of was looking up recipes and just trying to do it myself. I have picked out a couple very easy recipes for us to try together.

If I can do it, you can too! Let's try these easy yet delicious Korean dishes together!
Let's take a look at what we're making today.

These pictures are definitely not mine-- way too pretty! This is an example of what these dishes typically look like.
◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣

You know I had to do Kimchi Fried Rice!
    These other two dishes are very simple and I think you'll enjoy them!
Before we start cooking, we need to make sure we have all the ingredients~
Kimchi Fried Rice will require the most ingredients. I used this dish as an opportunity to use a lot of ingredients I already had that needed to be used before I traveled. This is a great dish for when your kimchi has gotten mature.


Kimchi Fried Rice ingredients:
• kimchi (spicy, salted, pickled/fermented vegetables (typically cabbage); ideally two weeks old)
• rice (it's better to have day's old but if you don't have this, then cook the rice before you start everything else then put in fridge/freezer until you add it)
• protein/meat of your choice (I used tofu and seafood/crab meat)
• 1-2 eggs
• sesame seeds
• Gim (seaweed)
• soy sauce
• optional: salt, pepper, garlic (salt, powder, etc.), Red Pepper flakes.
• vegetable oil
• butter



◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣
Dooboo Boochim / Doobu Boochim ingredients:
• egg
• tofu (I prefer firm but you can use soft if preferred)
• vegetable or sesame oil
• optional seasonings of salt and pepper

◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣ 

Gyeran-mari / Gaeran mari ingredients:
• egg(s) -- kind of depending on size of pan and how big you want your Gyeran-mari to be
• gim
• vegetable/cooking oil
• optional vegetables (chopped)-- possibilities are endless here-- recommendations are mushroom, bell pepper, cabbage, carrot, onion, etc. Some also use chopped meat like ham and also cheese!

• optional seasonings such as salt and pepper

 ◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣

If you have all your ingredients together, turn on some of your favourite music to listen to while you work
-- I mean cook. :notes:~ I'm thinking some BTS to get pumped up :smirk:
ɴᴏᴑ α΄˜ΚŸα΄€ΚΙͺΙ΄Ι’:
BTS - Airplane Pt. 2
0:20 ──•───────── 3:39
↻      ◁  II  ▷     ↺
α΄ α΄ΚŸα΄œα΄α΄‡: ▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▯











Don't forget to wash your hands!





Now, let's get started cooking!









◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣

Dish 1
Kimchi Fried Rice
κΉ€μΉ˜λ³ΆμŒλ°₯
 Romanized: Kimchi-bokkeumbap or kimchi-bokkeum-bap
Trivia: "Since kimchi fried rice is cheap and easy to make in a short period of time, it is favored by students living alone who can not afford expensive meals."
    "The popularity of kimchi fried rice is also reflected in South Korean pop culture. Byun Jin-sub, a popular male singer in the late 1980s, sang a song titled "Wishes" (hangul: 희망사항) in which he stated that the singer's ideal girlfriend would be one who cooks good kimchi fried rice. Taeyang says in his 2010 song "I Need A Girl" that his ideal girlfriend will eat the kimchi fried rice that he cooks."
                                                                                                                                  - Wikipedia
 BTS's Jimin says this is the dish he is most confident in cooking.  Also, BTS's J-Hope is infamous for mentioning his love for this dish in interviews.

  • First, heat pan and oil/spray it to cook.
  •  Take egg(s), crack into bowl, then add a little bit of kimchi juice to it, then beat until smooth.
  • Pour the egg into pan then scramble.
*I recommend making enough to have some mixed into the rice and also for topping although some prefer Sunnyside up, but I did scrambled.
picture not mine; credit to owner.
  • Put the egg to the side for now once you are done cooking it. You will need it later.
  • Now, oil and butter pan before adding chopped meat to the pan. Cook it until you'd be satisfied to eat then add rest of ingredients-- add kimchi, seafood, vegetables, onions, etc.
  • After stirring and cooking for a couple minutes, add rice and add seasonings (salt, pepper, red pepper, garlic), soy sauce, and kimchi juice to your taste.
  • While this cooks for 5-7 minutes, stir but also put a little bit of sesame seeds in oven to cook for topping.
-- Keep an eye on this, you just want it a little golden.

  • Once you have finished cooking your Kimchi Fried Rice, plate it and add toppings, egg, Gim, sesame seeds, and red pepper flakes.


◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣

Dish 2
Gyeran-mari or Gaeran Mari
κ³„λž€λ§μ΄
"Gyeran-mari (κ³„λž€λ§μ΄) or rolled omelette in Korean cuisine is a savory banchan (side dish) made with beaten eggs mixed with several finely diced ingredients." - Wikipedia

This is REALLY very easy if you've ever made an omelette before because that's basically exactly what this is.

  • You know the drill, heat pan and oil/spray it.
  • Add your chopped ingredients such as vegetables and meats during the stirring process of the egg(s).
  • I added chopped cooked onions I had leftover.
  • Add the gim when the egg is about midway done- a little firm but still some liquid.
  • When it is done to your liking-- I like it lightly golden--, turn off heat and lightly fold the egg.
  • Once you're finished, let the omelette cool before removing it from pan and then cut into small bite-sizes.


Some people like to top it with ketchup-- I am one of those people.


◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣

Dish 3
Dooboo Boochim or Doobu Boochim
두뢀뢀침
translates as "tofu fry" in English
I apologize for not having much pictures for this process, I made it quickly after the Kimchi Fried Rice and there's really not many steps.
Since I used half a package of tofu (my leftover from the kimchi fried rice), I used only one egg.

  • Crack your egg(s) into a bowl, add optional salt and pepper and beat until smooth.
  • Cut your tofu in equal sized pieces (the difficult part). Remove excess water from tofu, you can pat or lay flat with paper towel.
  • Oil pan and put on heat.
  • Salt each side of the tofu.
  • Dip tofu in egg, coating it evenly.
  • Gently place tofu in oiled pan.
  • After 3-4 minutes, flip tofu carefully. Tofu should be light brown color.
  • Cook until other side is also golden. 
  • Then you're done!







I like to eat with Sweet Chilli Sauce 
(Panda Express 😏 )
🀀🀀🀀

 ◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣
Can you believe we just learned how to cook and make three Korean dishes?! Good job. I'm proud of you! :)  I hope you had fun-- and of course, enjoy eating it as much as I did. 

Don't forget the Sprite (or Coca-Cola)!
Very important.


You'll need something sweet to wash down the spices from the Kimchi Fried Rice!


πŸ˜‰


*Note: the reason I don't specify measurements or amounts on certain things is because everyone has preferences on how much flavour and spices they can handle or want. Like I like my food very flavourful and spicy, but not too salty.

     Also, it depends on how much you're cooking. I had to use less ingredients sometimes because I was cooking only for myself. If you need anything specified, feel free to comment or message me.
    I wrote the recipes here after cooking freestyle after reading multiple different recipes of the dishes because literally everyone was making it different online-- I saw so many variations of Kimchi Fried Rice. Feel free to make it your own too! Do your take on it like I did.




  ╔➸❧➷═════════════╗
      LOVE YOURSELF, PEACE πŸ’œ 
  ╚═════════════➸❦❥╝



Thanks for reading!


。˚    °。     。˚    °
°。˚    。。    °    。˚

Don't forget to clean up.
。˚     °     。˚ 。˚
°    ˚。      ˚         °                  
。˚     °      ° 。 ˚                               
。    。˚   .˚。
° .                °
°







If you want more foodie goodness, I post a lot of foodie pics on Instagram, especially of whatever Asian food goodness I get. :heart: follow @eat_tiffood on IG and Twitter

* Note * None of the BTS pictures/GIFs/videos used are mine, credits to original owners and creators. Photos that are mine are of the ingredients, cooking process, and finished meals.
* Sorry that my pictures are so bad-- the lighting in the kitchen and my phone's camera are not friends.
~it was just a matter of time before the foodie did a food blog.
Thanks for reading until end.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

πŸŽ‰πŸ’šπŸ˜ŽπŸ’š LOKI THEMED PARTY! πŸ’šπŸŠπŸ’š ✨ How-to: Loki-inspired cupcakes, drinks, and gift bags

πŸ‡§πŸ‡ΈVegan Bahamian Macaroni & Cheese Recipe and Cooking Tutorial πŸ§€