Trying Korean Food Pt. 3 - Korean Food I've Tried Thus Far - Snacks

Photos not mine; credit to owners/creators.
🍴🍴🍴

╭──°◕‿◕。──╮
Welcome
to
Tiffood
╰──°◕‿─。──╯

Still hungry?

Related image
Good, me too.😊 
Let's eat. 

゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚
┊         ☪⋆       ┊   ┊    ┊        ┊
┊         ┊       ┊   ┊   ˚✩ ⋆。˚ ✩
┊         ┊       ┊   ✫
┊         ┊       ✩
┊ ⊹       ✯


This is Pt. 3 of my "Trying Korean Food" blog series!

This time, we're focusing on...

Image result for korean snacks gif
GIF not mine; credit to creator/owner.

Here's the link to Pt. 2 and Pt. 1.
≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡♪≡≡♬≡≡♪≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡
ɴᴏᴑ α΄˜ΚŸα΄€ΚΙͺΙ΄Ι’:
Eric Nam - Honestly
0:48 ──•───────── 3:31
↻      ◁  II  ▷     ↺
α΄ α΄ΚŸα΄œα΄α΄‡: ▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▮▯
 
I love Eric and this MV so much.

      In this blog, I'm going to do an overview of the Korean foods that, from my knowledge, I've tried so far.  This blog will be focusing primarily on snacks. I'll try to list what I've tried in order although I will fail to remember the time sometimes (because I ate some during university semester and that is a blur now). I'll also talk about what they are like, some background information and trivia, and if I enjoyed them to give you an idea if you'd like to try as well. 

     I'm excited to share this with you! I really love trying new food and Asian food has always been my favourite. Throughout my life, I've mainly been exposed to Chinese, Japanese, and Thai food. There is not Korean food in my country (I'm from an island in the Bahamas).
      I've only been able to try the few things I have tried since going abroad to university, but there's also few options there- not even Korean restaurant or store except in the nearby city.

     I hope my findings encourage you to as well venture out and explore new foods, in this case, Korean food- whether it be for personal tasting enjoyment or you are interested in exploring Korean culture and are choosing to do so through the cuisine. 



🍽




╔═──────── ✦。˚────────═╗
Korean Food I've Tried Thus Far
  Snacks
╚═────────˚。✦ ────────═╝

჻   ぃ   ჻   ぃ   ჻   ぃ   ჻   ぃ   ჻   ぃ   ჻   ぃ    ჻   
  ぃ   ჻   ぃ   ჻   ぃ   ჻   ぃ        ぃ   ჻   ぃ ★
჻   ぃ   ჻   γƒ  ★  γƒ   ჻          ჻   ぃ    ჻   
ぃ   ჻   ぃ   ჻               ぃ                 ჻    
      ჻   ぃ                           ჻                 ぃ    
      ぃ    ჻                          ぃ                ★
  ★  γƒ                         ★
                ぃ     
                    ★

           ჻
                   ぃ     
               ★

Gim
κΉ€
Romanized as both Gim and Kim
Pictures not mine; credits to owners.

             This is basically just edible seaweed pieces, red algae, often eaten as snack or side-dish. If you're familiar with nori from Japan, it's essentially the same thing. I've eaten both Gim and nori for a few years now. "The difference is that the Korean version is seasoned with oil, salt and toasted. Nori tends to either be raw or toasted only (no seasoning). But the base ingredient (seaweed) is exactly the same."                                           
    -Amazon

Related image
GIF not mine; credit to owner/creator.






       
      I've been eating these for years, not realising for awhile that they were Korean! I really enjoy them. It's like a healthy chip! It is very salty usually, but it's a good kind-- if you like seafood. You can also get many flavours. I like "Sweet N' Salty" the best lately.

  






  πŸ›I find these at a lot of places-- World Market, Big Lots, Walmart, grocery stores, etc.



───────·─˚。✦ ─·───────
Shrimp Chips
Saewookkang
μƒˆμš°κΉ‘
Photos not mine. Credits to owners/creators.

A popular shrimp flavoured snack in both Japan and Korea.
  Produced by Nongshim in South Korea since 1971, resembling the original Kappa Ebisen from Japan.
   🦐Don't eat this unless you love shrimp like I do! It's shaped and sized kind of like French fries or Cheetos. I'd say that they are small, bite-sizes but that they pack a big bold seafood flavour and a crunch with an airy texture.
Related image
Actor Lee Jong Suk Endorsement Modeling for Shrimp Crackers.
Photo not mine; credit to owner/creator.


    



    There is shrimp powder therefore it's pescatarian, not vegetarian.
    I really like these, I've been eating it and the other versions from Japan, etc. for a few years as a lover of Asian snacks and seafood.

  




 πŸ› I find this at Big Lots, World Market, and sometimes grocery stores.


───────·─˚。✦ ─·───────
Aloe Vera Drink

Photo not mine; credits to owner.


     I wasn't sure to add this at first because I don't see it or hear it talked about a lot. The only person I ever heard talk about it is my Latina friend so I thought originally maybe it was a drink from her country.

     I also recognise that this a beverage, not a food, but I wanted to include it because I found it interesting and delicious.

     I had been buying these, especially the Mango flavoured one, and drinking it for awhile until one day I looked at the bottle and it said KOREA. So, as of now, I consider this a Korean beverage I can drink.

      I couldn't find much information on this drink in Korean context, but I found this one website that included a lot of information on beverages in Korea. "Aloe Vera drinks are another unique Korean beverage. They are sold in short and tall green tinted plastic bottles. Normally containing thirty percent aloe vera gel in a drinkable form, they are rich in minerals, calcium, potassium, Vitamins B3, B1, B6, B2, and Vitamin C. Aloe vera drinks are characterized as aiding the digestive system and helping relieve gastrointestinal problems. They are also considered as a treatment for athlete's foot and acne." (Chad Meyer, Uniqueness of Korean Cuisine (V): Beverages, The Korea Times)

   πŸ›I've been able to find this beverage very regularly, mainly at Big Lots and sometimes TJ Maxx, Ross, and grocery stores.

───────·─˚。✦ ─·───────
Honey Butter Chips
ν—ˆλ‹ˆλ²„ν„°μΉ©
Brand of fried potato chipsmanufactured by Haitai Calbee.
Picture not mine, credit to owner.

Trivia:  "The chips were first available in August 2014, and they are renowned for their rise to popularity through SNS viral marketing from late 2014 to early 2015."
  "This snack was so popular that it created a trend called the Honey-Butter Craze among South Koreans." Apparently, it was so popular that stores sold out and had to put up signs saying they were sold out, there were waiting lists for them in stores, and people tried to resell online as they overcharged. This stuff crazy, you can't make it up.  You can read more about the Honey Butter Chips phenomenon HERE!
Pictures not mine, credits to owners. BTS πŸ’œ Honey Butter Chips!

Image result for eric nam eating snacks
Eric Nam with Honey Butter Chips.
Photo not mine; credit to owner.

    I tried this when I visited a little Korean grocery store one day. The lady who worked there was so kind and sweet, she offered me samples of the Honey Butter Chips.

     If Winnie the Pooh ate chips...
 They're very sweet-- exactly as in the name, it tastes a lot of honey and butter. I personally am a big fan of sweet and salty contrast so I like it, but it may be too sweet for average palate, especially if you're accustomed to salty potato chips. It kind of reminds me of waffle/pancake flavour-- syrup/honey and butter?
    
 πŸ›If you're interested, I suggest looking for closest Korean store or online.

GIF not mine; credit to owner/creator.

... The lady at the store also introduced me to another chip!...
GIF not mine; credit to owner/creator.
🐒
🐒
       🐒

ORION Turtle Chips Corn Soup Flavor
였리온 거뢁 μΉ© μ˜₯수수 μŠ€ν”„

🀀 πŸ˜
     
    A chip with the puffy texture of a bugle with the flavour of sweet corn soup. The lady at the store said that they are very popular in South Korea, currently the most popular chip there. I don't know-- she probably knows, but, either way, they were my favourite. I am assuming from what she said, they've become like a trend almost like what the Honey Butter Chips used to be?
     I honestly couldn't find much about this! But this is what I ended up buying after trying both it and the Honey Butter Chips.
    The flavour is exactly as described- creamy corn soup! So it's got a very nice sweet/salty flavour. Like the Honey Butter Chips, it's sweeter than the average chip. There's more of a balance in the sweet and salty contrast, it's pleasantly flavourful and the airy texture gives it a lightness to it. The texture is a lot like that of Bugles if you've ever had that but extra puffy, airy, and textured. They're small bite sized puffs, shaped like a turtle shell with several layers.


   I'm so glad this store is far away because I find this SOUPer addicting! I love them.

Photo not mine, credit to owner.



  Although I couldn't find trivia/info, I did find out that Psy is a CELEBRITY ENDORSER.


~ a jam

  πŸ›I did find a video where a guy said it took him awhile to find/get some but I've seen a few websites online selling them if you're interested.


───────·─˚。✦ ─·───────
Korean pastry?

?
   Saw this at the Korean grocery store and thought it looked intriguing! It was a spontaneous purchase, I didn't even check or think to ask what it was.
     I couldn't find what it's called. 😯 If you have any clue, hit me up.
     It was like bread, mildly sweet with a green filling (like that of the same texture/filling in mochi) and crumble on top at centre. Overall, interesting but good. I'm curious as to what I ate.
 ───────·─˚。✦ ─·───────
Honourable Mention 
Korean BBQ Flavoured Snacks

Picture not mine; credit to owner/creator.


    Yeah, I get that these aren't actually Korean, but I thought I'd mention them as just another thing where you can at least get some more of these kinds of flavours and there's not many options where you are.  I'm pretty sure I got the Korean BBQ Crunchy Chickpeas somewhere like TJ Maxx?  The jerky was gotten at Walmart.

   I really loved the crunchy chickpeas-- they're a fantastic on-the-go snack, very flavourful and crunchy-- they'll make your fingers messy like Doritos though, but it's a healthier alternative too.
Picture not mine; credit to owner/creator.



   


 I'm not a big fan of jerky, TBH. 

It's extremely tough, of course, but at least the flavours were good-- mildly sweet and spicy. 
 ───────·─˚。✦ ─·───────
Related image
When you realize you accidentally ate all the snacks.
🍟
🍀
🍜
🍯

   That's all for the "Trying Korean Food" blog series for now!  I'm hoping to update with some more Korean food in the upcoming weeks. Meanwhile, until then, I am working on some blogs on other Asian foodie goodness!
    I hope this review and information inspires you to try some of these items!
And if you have difficulty finding these, don't be discouraged. It was years before I was able to try any.  And thankfully, some of these items can be ordered online!
  
    If you want more foodie content, I post a lot of foodie pics on Instagram!  
πŸ’— follow @tiffu20.
·჻჻჻჻჻჻჻.´჻:。
Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed! 
Eat well.
Image result for jhope churro heart
GIF not mine; credit to owner/creator.


╔➸❧➷═════════════╗
Love Yourself, Peace πŸ’œ 
╚═════════════➸❦❥╝
Author's notes:
*As stated in the introduction, I'm from another country and study abroad, neither of which are Korea or contain much Korean culture so I am in no way an expert in anything here. My desire in creating this blog is to help others, like me, who are interested in learning more about the Korean culture, particularly the food, but have little exposure and resources.
πŸ› Stores listed are in the USA.
*All quotes are taken from Wikipedia unless stated otherwise.
*The photos used are a variety of photos I took and own and some (specifically of products or of BTS) that I don't own therefore credits to the rightful owners and creators.
πŸ’™ Thanks again for reading!πŸ’œ

Image result for bts food gif
Current Mood.
GIF not mine; credit to creator/owner.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

πŸŽ‰πŸ’šπŸ˜ŽπŸ’š LOKI THEMED PARTY! πŸ’šπŸŠπŸ’š ✨ How-to: Loki-inspired cupcakes, drinks, and gift bags

πŸ‡§πŸ‡ΈVegan Bahamian Macaroni & Cheese Recipe and Cooking Tutorial πŸ§€